Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gion and Maiko







2o October 2011

No matter what they say,
I love Gion.
Even in my sleep,
the sound of water flows
beneath my pillow.

-Yoshii Isamu, 1886-1960


As of today, we have our official alien resident cards, so I guess we can't be considered tourists any longer. We also found out that we have to pay into the Japanese national health care system because of being senior citizens, though we have absolutely no idea what we might be entitled to.

Yesterday was another warm and sunny day, so I loaded all my camera stuff on my long suffereing back and set off for Gion, the old Geiko district (Geisha are known as Geiko in Kyoto). It is much livelier at night, but lovely to walk around by day. The historic parts by the Shirakawa River are famous O-chaya (tea houses) still in use today (and probably off limits to westerners unless by special invitation). Yoshii Imasu was an impoverished poet cared for by geiko, and the above poem is carved on a stone by the river, just down from the Shinbashi Bridge. Maiko are geiko in training, a process that can take 6 or more years. For your pleasure, I was able to catch a daytime photo (with their permission) of two maiko taking a stroll.

Later I went to the old Zen temple, Kennin-ji. There were many wonderful paintings and Zen gardens. I thought S, Q and E. would like the dragons (which were painted on a ceiling) and the sweet bunny (painted on a screen).

We miss everyone, and send love

1 comment:

  1. Win,
    Hi. Not sure how to use this to reach you. Thanks for the card. Let me know how I can send you an e-mail. this is very exciting!

    Margery

    ReplyDelete