Sunday, September 25, 2011

Kyoto Station





28 September 2011

All of us are pilgrims on this earth. I've even heard it said that the earth itself is a pilgrim in the heavens.
-Maxim Gorky, 1903


Win went to his office on Monday for the day, to get the lay of the land and so on. I adopted the role of shufu (housewife). Enjoyed resting my feet etc. But having finally obtained a battery for my light meter, I can soon engage in my shumi (hobby) of B&W photography.

Tuesday morning we had our 2hr Japanese conversation class at Shugakuin International House. The participants are from: Sweden, China, India, Bangladesh, Russia and ourselves! Can you sort of picture it? The sensei is a good-natured older woman who encourages even the worst speakers among us (me that is). In the afternoon we went down to the Kyoto Station, a mamouth and dramatic modern building - sort of a city in itself - with a department store, many shops, restaurants etc, not to mention trains, subways and buses. At the very top (12 stories up) is a Tranquility Garden of Bamboo trees and great views of the city. The third photograph shows part of the escalator going up - looks a bit like a waterfall in the picture. The green umbrellas at about the 3rd level show a cafe where we stopped for some iced matcha tea - a definitely bracing and the beautiful color of spinach. The first photograph is a reflection in an adjoining building. The last shows one of the many sculpture installations which caught our eye.

Today I went into central Kyoto on my own mostly to window shop. Found some of the great old stores described in "Old Kyoto" including ones selling brushes and brooms, paper and paint brushes of all sorts, gorgeous ceramics, pewter tea pots etc,etc. Luckily Win hasn't been paid yet.
Tonight I fixed sort of spaghetti for old time's sake and am asking the gods of good fortune to look after the Red Sox.

Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment